Monday, July 7, 2014

Zucchini Cupcakes Recipe

I've been making a lot of cupcakes lately. My daughter, Julia, and I have discovered Cupcake Wars and have been having a great time watching it together and we have enjoyed baking together for a few years now.  We have both been inspired by the show, and of course, now that summer is here, we love making cupcakes to take to parties, cookouts and when we're just visiting.

Julia and Auntie Julie
(Photo by Diane Gillet)


My older sister, whom my daughter is named for, isn't much of a cake eater. So I asked her, what type of cake could I make to tempt her? She said she loved zucchini bread and hadn't had it in years. Well, not my cup of tea, but that's ok - glad to make them!  And that's what we did! Zucchini cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and pecans on top.

I know these look like they are still in the pan but they are actually in a carrier I just bought





Zucchini Cupcakes Recipe

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (I always use cake flour - which would be 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tbsp)
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 zucchini (10 ounces), coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
(squeeze with paper towel to get some of the excess moisture out of the zucchini)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper or foil
liners. Set aside.

Step 2
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in
nuts.

Step 3
In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, and mix just until
combined (do not over mix).

Step 4
Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake
comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

NOTE: The original recipe said to bake for 40 - 45 minutes. Fortunately, I checked at 35 and they were definitely done. I wished I would have checked a minute or two sooner.  Perhaps they did not squeeze the excess water out of their zucchini and that's why it took longer. I don't know.

Step 5
Let cool and frost with your favorite icing. (I used cream cheese icing)

No comments: